Monday, December 10, 2007

Adventures in Wool

Having made a very rash promise to a very good friend, I have spent most of the last 6 weeks knitting and assembling a rather large woollen penguin. I am now so exhausted that I can't quite be bothered to turn the photo round to the correct orientation, but I think the essential characteristics of said animal are fairly apparent - and sadly, these essential characteristics include considerable lumpiness round the abdominal area (perhaps he has a gall stone? Although I have no idea, of course, how and if gall stones are manifested in penguins) and rather scary eyes.

Because I want to be cruel to myself, I am also going to post a correctly oriented photo, showing how the penguin should have looked.
I think the "real" penguin (called Nora, photo courtesy of the Patons "Thirteen animals to knit using Diploma Gold DK and 4Ply" knitting booklet - never let it be said that I would steal the work of a more competent knitter) has a rather proud aspect, and an enviably smooth stomach. Despite my production-line experience (cycle-helmet making and chocolate-sealing a speciality), I would appear to lack the finesse required for putting bits of washable toy stuffing up a penguin's bum.

No comments: